My background includes over 25 years experience in a nonprofit educational institute specializing in philosophy, spiritual and cultural expressions worldwide—including two publishing houses. I was a senior editor/writer and print graphic designer and later web designer within the context of this institution. And, as well, I managed or co-managed a rich variety of large scale annual and construction fundraising projects over the past twenty years situated in several countries. Finally, I have served as a teacher of philosophy, spiritual living, lifestyle direction, ethics, and music.
My main studio is in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I telecommute with clients all over the US, and into Canada, Europe and Asia as well.
I have lived in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Mauritius for about seven years, and traveled extensively through Asia and Europe conducting retreats, seminars and pursuing writing or design projects.
I am currently holding positions as an independent contractor that cover: web design and web content production, book writing, writing and editing for full range of needs (from web content to print brochures to books) book design and shepherding, the entire range of print design and press printing, communication consultant and life coaching consultant.
My service in nonprofits included writing, graphic design, news journal, magazine and book production—from conception to press. We had two publishing houses—producing books, magazines, brochures, tracts, posters, educational courses. I have been serving as a senior writer (journalism and educational) for these institutions for 25 years. As well I served as a senior graphic designer for these publishing projects.
Our institution was one of the first educational nonprofits to build an extensive web presence. I was on the team that designed and built a number of sites related to education, philosophy, world religion, nonprofit fundraising, community outreach and ecommerce sales of books and artifacts.
I have a total of 25 years experience in fundraising development—including direct mail, events, individual cultivation for small to major gifts and planned giving.
I am expertly fluent in Mac OSX, Quark, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator; know and use typography very well, and have extensive experience in email and web usage. I have written and designed dozens of ads, brochures, catalogs, flyers and worked on 1,000-page book projects, childrens' educational courses and created many point-of-sale packages.
- Graphic designer for in-house and commercially published media.
- Web designer/developer of extensive sites since 1996.
- Senior writer, co-editor for non-profit in-house and commercially published books, magazines, news journals, academic courses, booklets, brochures, catalogs, tracts, advertisements, web pages.
- Co-managed and cultivated multi-million dollar fundraising/endowment campaigns in Hawaii, California and island country of Mauritius.
- Teacher and teacher trainer in philosophy, meditation, metaphysics, ethics, spiritual lifestyle, music. Innovative facilitator in community outreach.
- Winter 2008
- Grand National Rodeo: Website redesign and search engine ranking.
- New Jersey Osteopathic: Search engine ranking and design changes.
- PhoroXplore: Landscape and wildlife photographer web site with php database and search engine ranking.
- Present Centered Therapies: Search ranking writing, coding and redesign.
- Flexstar Technologies: Extensive website on high-end analysis systems.
- Voice Over Classes: Search engine content writing.
- Kerner Music & Media: Web design and search ranking for production and marketing studio.
- Kerner International: Web design and search ranking for international version of Kerner Music & Media.
- Sonoma Coast Living: Print design for Half Moon Bay real estate firm.
- Galaxy Granola: Photoshop color correction and detail work catalog images.
- Meeting of the Minds: Urban planning and sustainable vehicles video site.
- McKenzie & Associates: Website and writing for utilities, lease auditing.
- ethicalshopping.com: Blog writing.
- City Spirits and Natural Pages: Web design, print design, writing, search engine content writing and placement for numerous clients.
- Circle of Light: Website organic growing technology and content editing.
- United Earth Networks: Website for producer of mega-events—Live Aids.
- Love is the Solution: Writing 200-page Pathways to Peace book, writing speeches, designing nonprofit promotion materials, book design.
- Zhone Coaching: Content writing for print bulletin campaign.
- Ethical Shopping: Blog writing for shopping site discussing ethics
- Gems of History: Online shopping site for 100 family crest products.
- Nana Wall: 100-page residential book for architectural firm, national ad campaigns.
- S-World: Sustainable world web project, full backend php
- 9 Choirs: Full backend content management system journaling, editorial blogging and guidance commentary self-growth site.
- WineSpring: Full backend site for luxury travel, wine sales and upscale experiences.
- Transform Real Estate: Site for upscale green condos and houses in Las Vegas.
- Spring/Summer 2007
- Charlane Brady Photography: Web
site for photographer
Charlane Brady with content management system.
- NanaWall: Designing new “Education” book
for architectural display
of opening glass
- NanaWall: New look for
web site and
- 1% Solution: Writing
book on peace department funding and global peace ambassadors
for the nonprofit Love is the Solution.
- Winespring: Web
site and content writing,
ad and travel brochure creation for Napa-based luxury living
business—including China opportunities.
- Angel’s Share: Web
site, ads, brochures for wealth-oriented cult wine, bespoke travel
and special luxury purchases.
- BiOil Corporation: Web
site and content writing for company manufacturing and distributing
bio diesel fuel.
- Winter 2006 /2007
- Pia Furniture Design, Inc.: Create press kit
for design company and advising on press relations.
- Marley and Company: Writing complete web content
for high end kitchen remodeling and home improvement contractor.
- NanaWall: Creating style book for all opening
glass wall systems publications.
- Bay and Delta Yacht Charters: Online Shopping
cart for Empress Sportswear, speciality wear from Bay and Delta
- Industrial Light and Magic Studios (now Kerner
Optical): Web site designer/developer for 3 Kerner Optical companies,
print material designer, writer for international manager of special
projects and events.
- Cyclone Products: Design
and develop 3
new web sites for company that carries computer hardware security
products, VOIP phone systems, computer bags—with
- Cyplex Restaurant Touchstone Screens: Design
and develop new web site for software developers for restaurant
touchscreen ordering systems.
- Swinerton Builders: Redesign and develop 2
new web sites (with CMS backend) and 2 intranets for construction
company based in San Francisco, with 17 Western states offices.
- Teensolutions: Design and develop new web site
for therapist specializing
in young men and adult men issues.
- Fall 2006
- Betty Williams, Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Design and develop new web site for the nonprofit World Centers of Compassion for Children.
- Camera Support: Web design and development of Hollywood movie industry camera and equipment rentals.
- Tao of Dragon Ball: Editing and ghost writing for major book on the Dragon Ball animation series phenomenon.
- Steven Halpern’s Inner Peace: New design and development of database-driven, ecommerce site for pioneer of relaxation music, design CD covers and catalog.
- East Coast Premier Properties: Design and develop data-base driven sites (2) for high end real estate brokerage in northern Florida.
- Seven Steps to Simplicity and Elegant Living: Edit and additional writing for spiritual self-help book by Jennifer Cooper.
- Marin Pet Gazette: Design and quarterly layout of Marin-based newspaper, design and develop tie-in web site, consulting on periodical start up publishing.
- C&M LifeLine: Design and development for web site in nonprofit ministry service.
- Summer 2006
- India Life & Style magazine: Graphic design for all articles and recurring features and columns.
- OmGym: Yoga tool web site design/development (ecommerce) and all print material, including posters, brochures, trade show and point of sale promotionals.
- NorthBay ElderCare: Graphic designer for 6-panel brochure for startup business in Marin and Sonoma Counties.
- Bellingham Arts Academy for Youth: Design web site.
- Bay and Delta Yacht Charters: Redesign and develop web site for prominent charter business in the San Francisco Bay, including ticket shopping cart.
- Ethical Shopping: Write web content essays on issues and questions concerning the ethics of purchasing a range of products or services, an ethical Consumer’s Guide.
- Ben’s Garden: Design and develop web site for upscale New England garden shop, ecommerce.
- Nivo Productions: Design and develop web site for movie production prop and location provider.
- Electrical Contractor Consultants: Write and produce brochures, design and build web site for education service for electricians, ecommerce, high search engine ranking.
- Contractor Certification Consultants: Design and build web site, ecommerce, high search engine ranking.
- Settlement Works: Design and development of new web site for legal mediating counseling on resolutions after divorce.
- Habitat Humanity, San Fernando: Web maintenance.
- Live Oak Golf Estates: Design and development of web site for 92-lot real estate development in northcentral Florida.
- World Café: Web maintenance and special projects for nonproft group promoting meaningful conversation and dialogue.
- Spring 2006
- Ted Anders: Design layout, edit and oversee production of two independent published books.
- Ready 2 Build: Redesign all aspects of startup business from print presentation materials to complete website redesign.
- Link2.com: Design/develop custom web sites for restaurants.
- NanaWall Sytems: Promotional architecture book design, brochure and national ad creation, web site maintenance and technical binder updating.
- Marianne Gontarz York: Design/develop website for well known photographer in the elderly field.
- Computer Recycling Center: Nonprofit fundraising and communications consultant, also redoing their entire web site.
- Communication Director (all print and web design/content) for E-state Club, Nature's Nurse, Ted Anders Company, and book editing/design for "Lives of Light" by Ted Anders.
- Hired to recreate several of the following web sites: SBCouture, Barrister Broker, Ted Anders Company, Infinite Creation, Authentic Leadership Institute, Jule MacGregor.
- Jule MacGregor's Pillow Talk: Interior design of 125-page fully illustrated book.
- Infinite Creation & Third Dimension Publishing & Diva Production (Penny Rock): Design stationary, company logos, all websites, presentation and marketing material, book design.
- John Cepelak Fine Arts: Create email marketing fliers and marketing identity and design web site.
- Improved Image Consulting Services: Write entirely new web copy.
- Pure Heart Angels: Book design and writing a 250 page pre-teen book.
- Love is the Solution: Book editor/writer, and designer hired to recreate the nonprofit website. Setting up fundraising development channels.
- February—May 2005
- Publicist, designer, marketing manager with Artisan Builders, part-time, Sebastopol, CA.
- January 2003—December 2004
- Primary developer of a $13.6 million major gift capital/endowment campaign for a 20-acre spiritual/environmental sanctuary on Kauai, HI—part of Himalayan Academy and Saiva Siddhanta Church. Writer for special book features, magazine articles.
- Writer/designer/art director of 32-page capital campaign brochure.
- Developed strategy and presentation tools for chief fundraiser and team of eight. Wrote scripts and presentation materials, press releases, media articles.
- Trained fundraising team in events, personal meetings, the ask, follow-up.
- Part of team to develop planned-giving program. On team to establish fundraising budgets and annual goals.
of team that fund raised $6 million in small gifts over 10-year period
for San Marga Sanctuary, HI. Writer/editor
on book chapters for Himalayan Academy.
new ideas for small and moderate gift donations. On writing/design team
that created brochures, posters, advertising, web pages for campaign.
youth retreat manuals for community outreach in US and Asia.
marketing plan/tools for Himalayan Academy book sales.
grant applications for Kauai Aloha Endowment, Innersearch Project.
for main author of Himalayan Academy Publications, publishing house
of Himalayan Academynon-profit spiritual education institution. Feature
international book tours.
wrote and designed new marketing campaign in magazines, web sites.
with media for smooth, effective promotion.
shepherded new titles into review process (Publishers Weekly, Library
and designed new marketing catalogs for HAP. Contributed promotional articles
to magazines and newsletters. Sales of books increased 30%.
- April 1995March 2000
the most successful and expedited fundraising drive in Mauritius (resort
island near Madagascar) history: Raising 4,000,000 in 2 years for a
7-acre public non-profit spiritual/environmental park.
and project manager for the architecture of the park, and co-designer/manager
for the parks highly regarded landscaping. Spiritual Park is noted
as one of top places for visitors to Mauritius.
for very innovative and successful youth retreats (ages 15-25) for Himalayan
Academy in Mauritius. Retreats considered among best in world.
writer for Hinduism Today international monthly magazine.
200,000-word teachers guide for childrens course.
speaker on integrating spirituality into life pragmatics and interests.
and crafted new cooperative-learning methods for teaching program at
Himalayan Academy in Concord, CA.
teacher/minister for the Academys children, youth and adult programs.
innovative youth retreat models to enhance young adults positive
perceptions, values and life skills.
writer/journalist and designer for Hinduism Today. Specialized in in-depth
reporting, biographical retrospectives, environmental news, science/spirit
common ground articles.
fund raising drive for renovations of $1 million property$50,000-100,000
annually in small gifts. Property manager for 3-building complex.
for Hinduism Today newspaper. Editor for recurring sections of the newspaper,
including book editor, special features editor, science editor.
team to craft new look and feel for publications.
authored for several Himalayan Academy Publication books.
and recorded a 9-tape course on Asian meditation/spirituality.
speaking on spirituality and philosophical principles personally applied.
beekeeper: Co-managed and part of team that worked the monastery's 3,000
hive apiary honey operation.
minister priest at San Francisco branch of the Church.
for $100,000 temple-building campaign on Kauai, HI.
tour leader of travel/study program to 6 countries with 60 people.
Divinity Wailua University Theological Seminary 1980
Philosophy Wailua University Theological Seminary 1982
English Wailua University Theological Seminary 1979
Journalism University of Nebraska, Lincoln incomplete (travel)